Thrifty Thursday - A Plaid Refashion for Fall. It may be a bit premature to think about Fall here in Texas, but when I found this plaid dress at the Goodwill Outlet, I was itching to make something for Fall with it!
This dress totally brings back memories!!!
First, I had to decide what I wanted to make out of it. Initially I was thinking a dress, but I landed on a peplum top. So the first thing I did was cut a bit off of the bottom. I set aside the part I cut off. I had plans for it!
Don't worry - I removed those pockets with a seam ripper. Whew!
There was definitely potential, but still quite a bit frumpy, so I decided to use the part I cut off of the bottom to attach to the sleeves to make bell sleeves!
I cut off a little bit more to make it the length that I wanted to add to the sleeves. I was sure to save the orignal hem so I wouldn't have to hem the sleeves!
Pinning right sides together, I attached the bell part to the existing sleeves.
And I got this
Shhh! Don't tell my mom that the plaids don't match!
At this point, I tried it on as a top. The first issue was hem length. I just compared it to another similar style peplum blouse I have and hemmed it to the same length.
The main issue, though, was that it was too small and gaped open at the chest. Most things I refashion start out too big. That's way easier to fix than too small! However, it was only a smidge too small, so I had a solution. I knew from the beginning that I wanted to turn it around and have the buttons go down the back. So instead of using those buttons or replacing them with cuter ones (my initial plan), I just cut them off and sewed the 2 pieces together as far apart as I could get them. That gave me about an extra half inch!
After pressing and steaming it, I was ready to style it!